Friday, February 13, 2009

Happy Valentine's Day!

I guess it is the elementary school teacher in me, but I adore holidays...all of them! When we homeschooled, each child got an age-appropriate monthly booklet of activities. February, for the shortest month, was so jam packed...Groundhog Day, usually Mardi Gras and Ash Wednesday, Valentine's Day, President's Day, Black History month, Dental Hygiene Month, Heart Awareness Month, and some others I am sure I am forgetting. I had rented a copy machine that stood in the kitchen. I ran off those booklets and put them together with such joy, using teacher resources I had collected over the years.

One wall held a giant bulletin board from when the church school downsized and had leftovers. I still remember the year Andrea made that bulletin board an undersea world. She made it an aquarium, complete with a taped tour describing the many "creatures" we saw.

I made sure Daddy remembered to stop and get Valentine candy for each of his valentines and bring it home. We made pretty cards for Daddy. We still send the kids Valentine candy. Steven and Andrea were married Feb 1, and their first "fight" was over her Daddy Valentine's Candy. Seems she put it in the refrigerator, and he viewed it as community property, while she was emphatic that it said "TO ANDREA from Daddy."

This year I made sure to send Tiffany a king cake in Alaska. She loves those things for some reason.

To all my Valentines, both near and far, have a good one! And Vivian, I love you more than GREASY GOPHER GRAVY with a side of Grits!!!

2 comments:

  1. Now that I think about it, I am convinced Andrea was so protective of that candy not just because it was from Dad, but because she was a teenager before we even let them have "real" candy. They usually got a windup toy or some other item for Valentine's when they were little.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Who doesn't love sugary covered cake? lol

    ReplyDelete