Sunday, December 14, 2008

Southern Ladies

There is a song by LaRue called New Orleans Ladies where they sing:

All the way, from Bourbon Street to Esplanade,
They sashay by. Oh! they sashay by!


I think the South is the only place in the US where ladies still "sashay."

I have spent most of my life yearning to be the embodiment of a gracious lady. Miss Melly of _Gone with the Wind_ fame is a standard I dare to hope to achieve in my life. Real life women I admire include Sis. Gloria Sartin, Sis. Sandy Sartin, Sis. Vesta Mangun, Sis. Micky Mangun, the late Sis. Mildred Lewis, and the late Sis. Charlene Savoy. Each of these women remind me of what a lady is admonished to be like in the Bible. Yet, I find myself always more of a Scarlett O'Hara with my temper and my independence.

My daughters are my heroines as well. I see in each of them that perfect blend of graciousness and independence. Ladies of strength and dignity and graciousness. Andrea's quiet graciousness and unwavering integrity reminds me of that saying, Gentleness is a brick, covered in rich velvet. Tiffany is my fairy peacemaker, always wanting everyone to be comfortable and happy, ever eager to forgive, and quick with a smile and laugh to chase the blues away.. Melanie is my compassionate hostess, with a heart bigger than she is, who embraces all she meets and wraps them in her cloak of warmth.

No comments:

Post a Comment